Follow these safety tips during a busy travel seasonFriday, December 14, 2012 10:38:44 AM
The AAA predicts that this Christmas travel season will be the busiest in six years, with more than 93.3 million Americans - or 90 percent of travelers - hitting the road.
The AAA announced that between December 22 and January 1, 84.4 million people will drive at least 50 miles. If you are one of them and will be traveling in your corporate car rental during this time, use these tips to ensure your safety during bad weather or a traffic jam:
• Reduce your speed by at least 50 percent if you are driving in snowy conditions. Don't go too slow, though, or your car won't have the momentum it needs against snow.
• Don't pass snow plows or sanding trucks because these drivers have limited visibility and the roads ahead of them are likely not cleared yet.
• Allow at least three to four seconds of distance between you and the person in front of you. If the roads are extremely slippery, double that time.
• Gradually switch lanes or break to give drivers around you more time to adjust.
• Be aware of what's happening at least one-third of a mile ahead of you on the highway.
• If you notice you are breaking hard, increase the distance between you and the car ahead of you to ensure non-emergency breaking situations.