When Car Rental Insurance is NOT Optional
Generally speaking, car rental insurance is an optional add-on left up to the discretion of the renter. But, much like eating a slice of your grandmother’s famous fruitcake and feigning delight, the option may become a must. Those times include:
- When you’re renting a vehicle in another country.
- Your personal auto insurance won’t cover the class of vehicle you’ve rented.
- You’re renting a car on a business trip.
- You’re renting a car over a long period of time.
- You have no applicable auto insurance of your own.
- You didn’t use a credit card that includes rental car insurance to pay for your rental.
If you’re unsure about what your auto insurance does or does not cover when renting a car, call your insurance agency before you get to the rental car counter. It’s also a good idea to make copies of your insurance policy and cards and pack them in your bags. This will put the information you need right at your fingertips, should a question about your coverage arise at the counter.