1. GENERAL RENTAL REQUIREMENTS
THESE ARE THE GENERAL RENTAL REQUIREMENTS OF DOLLAR® RENT A CAR. THE RENTAL COMPANY OPERATING THE DOLLAR RENT A CAR LOCATION (“DOLLAR”) MAY HAVE OTHER REQUIREMENTS. THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE RENTAL LOCATION WILL CONTROL. CHECK THE LOCAL POLICIES OF THE RENTING LOCATION FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THEIR TERMS AND CONDITIONS. FOR RENTALS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, PLEASE REFER TO THE LOCAL POLICIES WHERE YOU INTEND TO RENT THE DOLLAR VEHICLE.
A. Rental Rates: Daily Rental rates are based on a 24-hour rental day starting at the time of rental. The minimum charge is one day, plus mileage, if applicable. The renter will be charged for each hour and/or any part of an hour in excess of a rental day the renter keeps the vehicle until the vehicle is returned, up to the applicable daily rate. Mileage charges, if applicable, will be the number of miles driven as determined by the odometer readings at the beginning and end of the rental. The Rental Rate is subject to increase if you return car more than 24 hours before or 24 hours after the scheduled Return Time. Late returns beyond 30 minute grace period may be subject to extra hour and/or extra day charges, in addition to any other rental charges. If the renter fails to comply with the conditions applicable to the rate, including any geographic driving restrictions, a mileage charge, surcharge or other rates may apply
B. Driving Age: The minimum age to rent a vehicle at most locations in the United States and Canada is 21 years of age. Please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on driver ages at the location where you intend to rent and the applicable charge for drivers 21 to 24 years of age.
C. Authorized Drivers: The DOLLAR vehicle may be driven only by an authorized driver. An authorized driver is the renter and any additional person who appears at the time of rental and signs the rental agreement. All authorized drivers must satisfy our age requirements, have a valid driver’s license, provide a physical street resident address, a major credit card in their own name, and fulfill our other qualifications, which vary by location. Employers and co-employees of renters renting on corporate rate plans, if properly licensed and meet our age requirements, are authorized to drive the vehicle while acting within the scope of their employment duties. See our credit requirements and driver’s license requirements below. The authorized driver and any additional authorized drivers may be subject to a driver record check (See below). No other persons are authorized to drive the vehicle.
D. Additional Authorized Drivers and Fees: All additional authorized drivers are required to qualify to drive the vehicle. To qualify, DOLLAR requires all additional drivers, including spouses, to satisfy our minimum age requirements, have a valid driver’s license and pay an additional driver fee. However, the following additional drivers do not need to pay an additional driver fee or separately qualify as long as they meet our minimum age requirements and have a valid driver’s license:
(1) government renters on official orders on a government rate plan,
(2) corporate account customers on corporate rate plans, and
(3) drivers/companions of physically impaired customers. The additional driver may also be subject to a driver record check and an underage driver fee. (See below). Because the requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on additional driver fees charged at the location where you intend to rent.
E. Underage Driver's Fee: An authorized driver 21 to 24 years of age may be charged an Underage Drivers fee because of such driver's age in addition to the additional driver fee, if applicable. Because the requirements vary by DOLLAR location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on additional authorized or underage drivers at the location where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.
F. Credit Qualifications/Requirements: To qualify to rent the DOLLAR vehicle, the renter must present at the time of rental a current driver’s license and valid major credit card or debit card (see Debit Card Usage below) in the renter's own name with available credit. At the time of rental, an authorization hold will be secured on the credit/debit card provided, to cover the estimated rental charges and up to $350 or 15% of the estimated rental charges, depending on rental location and card used. These funds will not be available for your use. For customers with a PC coupon, the estimated amount is the approximate total not including your promotion.
Acceptable Charge Cards
American Express / MasterCard / Carte Blanche / Diners Club / Discover / JCB / Visa / Optima/Amex
G. Using Debit Cards to Qualify for a Rental
At many Dollar locations, debit cards issued under a VISA or MasterCard logo which draw funds directly from a cardholder’s linked bank account may be used at the outset of a rental to qualify for the rental where the following requirements are met; at Dollar Airport locations, you will be required to provide proof of a return airline flight to coincide with the rental and present two (2) valid forms of identification; and in Dollar Off Airport locations, you will need to make your reservation at least one day in advance of your rental pick up date, be at least 25 years old, have a Corporate Discount Plan (CDP) number listed in the reservation and present two (2) valid forms of identification.
- Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of your rental.
- In most cases, the location will perform a credit check for debit card customers to determine credit worthiness at the time of rental. The customer must meet the minimum criteria to rent using a debit card. In addition, the acceptance of such debit cards is contingent of meeting the requirements noted above and upon the debit card having available funds to cover the estimated charges plus an authorization of up to USD 350.00 or 15% of the estimated rental charges, depending on the rental location and card used. These funds will not be available for your use.
When a debit card is accepted as form of payment, at the start of the rental, two (2) forms of identification must be presented.
- A valid United States or Foreign Country issued Driver’s License
- Other form of identification in the renter’s name
- One (1) of the following forms:
- An additional credit card or debit card embossed with the same name as the driver’s license. The card is for identification purposes only and will not be credit authorized;
- Government issued ID, in the same name as the driver’s license and debit card:
-Valid Passport – United States or Foreign Country Issued
-United States Military Identification Card
- Non-government form of ID, example that may be accepted includes photo store member card (Costco, Sam’s, etc.), a photo employee card as long as the photo and name matches the driver’s license and debit card.
- Current month Utility Statement in the renter’s name and the same address as on the driver’s license. Example Gas, Electric, Cable bill, etc.
Using Debit Cards to Pay for a Rental
Both debit cards and prepaid or store value cards may be used as a form of payment when a customer returns the vehicle.
Cash Deposit Identification Cards - Cash rentals – which require an up-front deposit of cash – are accepted from customers who have obtained a Cash Deposit Identification (ID) Card. Click here for Cash Deposit ID Card application. Applicants must be 21 years of age or older (18 in Michigan and New York) and the application process can take approximately thirty (30) days – except as otherwise required by law. There is a U.S. $15 nonrefundable processing fee which offsets the cost to have a modified credit check performed on the applicant. Cash Deposit ID Cards are not accepted at all locations, including Canada.
H. "Key Ring" Credit Cards: DOLLAR does not accept the small credit cards issued by credit card companies that fit on a key ring. In the event that a customer presents the key ring credit card at the time of rental, the rental location may ask you to present the standard size credit card or another form of payment.
I. Gasoline Policy: The renter must refill the gas tank of the vehicle within a 10-mile radius of the rental return facility and present a fuel receipt to avoid a refueling charge unless the renter chooses the prepaid fuel option. If the renter chooses the prepaid fuel option, the renter will pay a specified charge as set forth in the rental agreement and have no obligation to return the vehicle with a full tank of fuel. The fuel charge is based on the estimated number of gallons needed to refill the tank multiplied by the rate per gallon charge specified in the rental agreement. DOLLAR may use different methods of estimating the number of gallons needed to refill the tank and these methods of estimation necessarily rely on human judgment. Most DOLLAR locations estimate the number of gallons needed to refill the gas tank either (1) by reading the fuel gauge to estimate the approximate amount of fuel needed to refill the tank (for example, one-half tank) and multiplying that number by the manufacturer's specified fuel tank capacity, or (2) if the renter did not purchase any fuel during the rental, by reading the odometer to determine the amount of miles driven during the rental and dividing that number by the vehicle's estimated average fuel efficiency (miles per gallon) based on the manufacturer's fuel efficiency specifications. References herein to miles and gallons shall be kilometers and liters when renting in Canada.
J. Geographic Limitations: At most locations, driving is restricted to the continental United States and Canada. A Canadian resident is prohibited from driving a U.S. owned vehicle into Canada. Please refer to the Local Policies for specific information regarding geographic limitations at the location where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.
K. Disabled Renters:
1. Available Driving Aids: If the renter will require driving aids to operate a vehicle, please contact us at 1-800-800-3665. This will ensure availability of equipment and allow DOLLAR personnel to install such equipment prior to the rental.
2. Pick-up: We would also ask that you call 1-800-800-3665 prior to your arrival so that we may pick you and your traveling companion up, if any, upon arrival at the airport. At most locations, courtesy telephones are also available in the airport to contact us for pick-up.
3. Additional Authorized Drivers: If a traveling companion shall serve as the driver during the rental, please advise the DOLLAR representative at the time of rental and pick-up. There is no additional charge for an additional authorized driver for non-driving disabled renters.
L. Driver's Licenses:
United States Citizens and U.S. Military Personnel: A renter or any additional authorized driver who is a citizen of the United States, must present at the time of rental:
(1) a driver’s license issued by any state, territory or possession of the United States , and valid for the entire rental period.
(2) a temporary driver’s license, valid for the entire rental period
(3) a traffic citation issued as a temporary license, valid for the entire rental period (the court date being the expiration date) and a second form of identification with signature (excluding the credit card used for rental)
(4) a valid U.S. military identification card plus an expired driver's license for active duty U.S. military personnel in those states where active duty U.S. military can drive on an expired driver's license
(5) a valid driver’s license issued by a providence or territory of Canada
(6 a foreign driver’s license* issued by the country of residence of the renter and additional drivers. If the driver’s license is not in English the renter and drivers may provide a current International Driver’s Permit (“IDP”); or, if from Japan, a Japanese Translation Service. An IDP does not give a person the right to drive, but provides a certified translation of the valid foreign driver’s license. An IDP (or certified translation) without the foreign issued driver’s license is not acceptable.
*If the foreign issued driver’s license is from a country where “permanent” or “non-expiring” driver’s license are issued, the renter and any additional drivers will also be required to show their passport, visa, or other current U.S. issued documentation at the beginning of their rental authorizing the renter or driver to be present in the USA at the time of rental.
M. One-way Rentals: One-way rentals within the U.S. and within Canada vary by DOLLAR location and vehicle availability. A one-way drop fee will apply.
N. Optional Equipment:
1. Child Safety Seats: For an additional charge, which varies by location, infant, toddler and child/youth safety seats are available at many DOLLAR locations.
2. Ski Racks: Ski racks are available at some locations where travel to ski resorts is anticipated during the winter season. There is an additional charge for ski racks.
3. Global Positioning System (“GPS”): Many DOLLAR locations offer a GPS unit for use during the rental for an additional daily charge. The small, dashboard-mounted device is programmed for multiple languages and contains mapping details of the entire U.S. with nearly six million points of interest, including hotels, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs and tourist attractions. The GPS unit can be programmed to avoid toll roads.
O. Optional Services:
i. Premium Emergency Roadside Service (“PERS”): PERS is a service offered by us at some locations for a per day charge. This service provides you with lock-out, flat tire, and fuel and battery service up to $1,000 for all services per rental during your rental. Also travel interruption reimbursements up to a maximum of $1,000 per rental for travel expenses incurred by the customer when the vehicle is disabled in a collision.
ii.PlatePass All-Inclusive Service: In a few cities, we offer an option to purchase the PlatePass All-Inclusive Service for a per/day charge that allows the driver to bypass all toll booths and avoid electronic toll charges on all the toll roads in the city or state, as applicable; and, as many times a day as necessary. If you decline to purchase the PlatePass All-Inclusive Service, you will pay us for all unpaid toll occurrences and toll violations (including violations captured by camera) charged by the toll authority plus a $15.00 administrative fee per toll occurrence or toll violation. If you have a personal transponder or account, it may not transfer to the rental vehicle and you will be charged a toll violation. Please be advised that some toll roads are managed electronically and have no manned booths.
“NOTE: If you decline the optional PlatePass All-Inclusive service at the commencement of the rental period, but still use electronic toll roads and/or bridges during the rental period (including “cashless” or “all electronic” toll roads and bridges, as noted above), you will be liable for and we will charge you: (a) all tolls incurred for such use (at the highest, undiscounted applicable toll rate); (b) a $15 administrative fee for each toll incurred (subject to a $90 cap for such toll-related administrative fees for the rental period); and (c) all other applicable toll charges or fees, if any.”
P. Additional Fees: At most DOLLAR locations the renter may incur one or more charges and fees, including, but not limited to the following: (i) an (airport)concession recovery fee or off-airport access fee; (ii) an (airport) consolidated facility charge; plus, frequent flyer surcharges, and vehicle license fees which are the estimated average per day per vehicle portion of our total annual vehicle taxes, licensing, titling, and registration costs, and other governmental fees or charges on top of the daily rate and any optional products and services the renter selects. These charges are calculated either as a per-day or a per-rental charge.
Change Fees - In order to ensure that your car is ready and waiting for you, Dollar has introduced Change Fees that will reduce last-minute disruptions to our vehicle planning.
- Early Return Fee: Applies if you did not prepay your rental charges and returned the vehicle more than 24 hours early before the return time indicated in your rental agreement. You will only pay for the days used, but there will be a $25 charge to partially compensate Dollar for our inability to rent your vehicle during the remaining time reserved for your use. You can reduce the fee paid by calling the On-Rent Help Desk at 1-866-434-2226 to update the date and time of your return.
- Late Return Fee: In addition to charging additional rental days for a late return, we reserve the right to charge $16 per day (maximum of 5 days) to compensate us in part for the costs we incur in finding an alternative vehicle to satisfy our next booking for your vehicle. You can reduce the fee paid by calling the On-Rent Help Desk at 1-866-434-2226 to update the date and time of your return.
- Return Change Fee: Applies if you change the location or date/time of your rental and proactively notify Dollar by calling the On-Rent Help Desk at 1-866-434-2226. There is a nominal $10 fee associated with the change to your rental agreement.
Energy Surcharge - Separate and apart from the costs of fueling rental vehicles, energy costs represent a substantial portion of Dollar's operating expenses. To offset the significant costs of utility charges, bus fuel, oil and grease and related costs, Dollar is separately imposing an Energy Surcharge. This Charge is not intended to reflect a precise measure of Dollar's actual energy costs incurred to serve a particular customer.
Q. Lost and Found: Dollar Rent A Car will not uphold responsibility for any personal belongings left in the vehicle or within the location premises. If you have lost items, please contact customer service as soon as possible - http://www.dollar.com/Help/main.aspx.
2. LIABILITY, INSURANCE AND OPTIONAL PROTECTION PACKAGE
A. Loss or Damage to the DOLLAR Vehicle: The renter and any additional drivers are absolutely liable for any loss or damage to the rental vehicle, even if someone else caused it or the cause is unknown, whether due to theft, fire, hail, flood, collision, vandalism, or any other cause, subject to limitations imposed by the law where the vehicle is rented. This liability will not exceed the full value of the vehicle, plus:
1. Actual towing and storage charges;
2. Loss of use;
3. Diminution in value, as determined by Dollar, regardless of whether the vehicle is repaired or not
4. All rental charges through the date you report the incident if not returnable or the return date, whichever is later;
5. Any out-of-pocket expenses incurred by us as a result of the loss or damage to the vehicle; and
6. A reasonable administrative fee
7. Pro-rata license plate fees, all as allowed by law.
B. Third Party Liability Claims: Unless otherwise required by applicable law, a renter and/or any additional authorized driver (and the respective insurance company of each) is primarily responsible for all third party claims of personal injury, including death, and property damage caused or arising from the use and operation of the DOLLAR vehicle during the rental. You agree to indemnify and hold DOLLAR harmless from and against, and will defend DOLLAR against all loss, liability or damages whatsoever arising out of the use or operation of the vehicle during the rental, plus costs and attorneys’ fees. (To the extent DOLLAR is required to provide coverage, in spite of the terms of the Rental Agreement, it shall only be in an amount necessary to satisfy the minimum financial responsibility limits required by applicable law.)
C. Optional Protection Package: At the time of rental, DOLLAR offers for purchase at the option of the renter, Loss Damage Waiver ("LDW"), Protection Plus (PP), Personal Accident Insurance ("PAI"), Personal Effects Coverage ("PEC"), Emergency Sickness Protection (ESP), and Liability Insurance Supplement ("LIS"). The per day cost, coverage, provider and availability vary by location, vehicle category and rate. Please refer to the locations Local Policy to determine whether LIS is required for travel into Canada and the cost of such coverage. The optional products offered by DOLLAR may duplicate coverage provided by the renter’s personal automobile insurance or insurance the renter may have through another source. Purchase of optional products is not required to rent the vehicle. Separate brochures available at the rental location summarize the optional products. We charge a per day fee for each day or part of a day the vehicle is rented for any optional products you select.
1. Loss Damage Waiver ("LDW"): If the renter purchases one of the optional LDW plans, DOLLAR will agree to waive the renters responsibility for loss or damage to the vehicle in full or in part (depending on the LDW plan accepted). LDW is not insurance or an insurance product.
LDW does not apply if: (1) the renter uses the vehicle in violation of the Rental Agreement; (2) the renter fails to remove the keys, or close and lock all windows, doors and trunk, and the vehicle is stolen or vandalized; (3) the renter fails to notify us and the police immediately after the loss; and (4) the renter fails to pay the charges under the Rental Agreement; or (5) other exceptions as allowed by the applicable state or provincial law.
Before deciding whether to purchase LDW, the renter may wish to determine whether their own automobile insurance or credit card agreement provides coverage for rental vehicle damage or loss and determine the amount of the deductible under their own insurance coverage. The purchase of LDW is not mandatory. LDW is not insurance.
2. Personal Accident Insurance/Personal Effects Coverage ("P&P"): P&P includes Personal Accident Insurance ("PAI") and Personal Effects Coverage (PEC) and where offered must be purchased together. P&P is not offered in Canada.
a. PAI: provides limited benefits to the renter and the renters passengers for accidental medical expenses, ambulance expenses and accidental death benefits during the rental. If this optional coverage is purchased by a renter, the renter is covered twenty-four hours a day for all accidents, whether the renter is actually in the rental vehicle or not at the time of the accident. Passengers in a DOLLAR vehicle are only covered for accidents occurring while the passengers occupy the DOLLAR vehicle.
b. PEC: insures, up to the limits of liability provided, the personal effects of the renter and any member of the renter's immediate family traveling with the renter. A member of a renter's immediate family must permanently reside in the renter's household. If this optional coverage is purchased by the renter, PEC covers only personal effects with which the renter or immediate family member are traveling. PEC pays covered claims even if the renter's homeowner's policy provides coverage.
3. Liability Insurance Supplement ("LIS"):
Provides liability protection up to $1,000,000 for claims brought by others
- Up to $1,000,000 for bodily injury or property claims with uninsured/underinsured motorist**
- No deductible for you to pay to Dollar
Liability Insurance Supplement (Rentals commencing in all states including California)
Dollar LIS coverage provides you with up to US$1 million combined single limit of liability protection should bodily injury and property damage claims be made against you by people injured in an accident involving the Dollar car. LIS, in combination with liability protection which may otherwise be provided by Dollar, safeguards your insurance policy and/or your personal assets for up to the first $1 million should such claims be made against you. LIS also provides you with up to $1,000,000 in coverage for combined bodily injury and/or property damage claims, should you be harmed by an uninsured/underinsured driver. Prices vary by location. Pricing of LIS for a specific rental will be provided at time of reservation. LIS is not available on rentals in Canada."
4. Protection Plus (PP): In Canada, where available, if the renter purchases PP, it will provide limited benefits to the authorized driver and passengers of the vehicle during the rental for accidental medical expenses, ambulance expenses and accidental death, repatriation, rehabilitation, legal defense, emergency road service and mechanical breakdown towing benefits, and loss to personal belongings if certain terms and conditions are met.
5. Emergency Sickness Protection ("ESP"): ESP is available at select locations to renters who are non-U.S. citizens including Canadians who possess valid non-U.S. passports at the time of rental. ESP provides certain medical benefits for some sicknesses that may occur during rental periods of thirty days or less. ESP also covers individuals possessing valid non-U.S. passports at the time of rental traveling with the renter. Benefits include up to $10,000 per person for reasonable and customary cost of necessary medical care for covered sickness, including (A) medical or surgical treatment; (B) hospital services, supplies, x-rays and laboratory fees; (C) local ambulance and (D) visits to a physician’s office, and are subject to a $100 deductible per person per sickness. ESP does not provide coverage for any sickness for which symptoms began or treatment received during the twelve months prior to the beginning of the rental period; expenses incurred outside of the U.S.; expenses for eyeglasses, contact lenses or hearing aids; losses incurred while participating in racing, professional club, intercollegiate or interscholastic sports; losses from an accident, cardiovascular disease, cancers tumors, tuberculosis, organ transplant, congenital conditions, deviated septum, cosmetic surgery, dental care, sexually transmitted diseases, birth control, fertility/infertility treatment, pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion, and emotional or mental disorders of any kind; and losses while traveling against the advice of a physician or while traveling for the purpose of receiving medical treatment. ESP does not apply in Mexico.
6. Mexico Insurance: Vehicles rented in the United States may not be driven into Mexico without obtaining Mexico Insurance. Mexico Insurance provides a customer with liability and damage protection on the rental vehicle to be in compliance with Mexican law when visiting Mexico. The Mexico Insurance policy permits the customer to travel up to 250 miles south of the U.S./Mexico border in the rented vehicle. The policy provides coverage for liability to third parties arising from the use of the rental vehicle (to the applicable limit of liability), collision and comprehensive coverage for the rental vehicle (subject to applicable deductibles) and limited medical expense coverage. Coverage is subject to all limits, terms, limitations and exclusions in the Mexico Insurance policy. Mexico Insurance is available only at select locations.
THIS IS A SUMMARY ONLY AND IS SUBJECT TO SPECIFIC BENEFITS, EXCLUSIONS, LIMITATIONS AND EXCEPTIONS OF THE LIABILITY INSURANCE SUPPLEMENT, UNINSURED MOTORIST PROTECTION, PERSONAL ACCIDENT ANDN PERSONAL EFFECTS AND EMERGENCY PROTECTION INSURANCE POLICIES (WHICH ARE AVAILABLE FOR INSPECTION UPON REQUEST).
The following are trademarks of Dollar Rent A Car, Inc.: DOLLAR
Dollar Rent A Car is a Registered Trademark of Dollar Rent A Car, Inc.
* Revised and Effective January 6, 2017.